• State department will be able to operate for limited time
° Ho hum
• Department of defense would continue military operations
° Yah, duh
• Department of education would still distribute $22bn (£13.6bn) to public schools, but staffing would be severely hit
° $22 BILLION!! Holy cow! Good grief! this is but part of the problem...
• Department of energy - 12,700 staff would be sent home, 1,113 remain to oversee nuclear arsenal
° For which there is absolutely no use. Oh darn.
• Department of health and human services to send home more than half of staff
° And what have they done for you recently except concoct Obamacare?
• The Federal Reserve, dept of homeland security, and justice dept would see little or no disruption
° Duh. Follow the money, the jackboots, and the lawyers. They won't touch that one.
• US Postal Services would continue as normal
° FWIW, delivering nothing but junk mail. Hello USPS, wake up. Mail is dead. Anyone with a brain does it electronically. Sorry Ben, 1737 was a good year, but it is now 2013.
• Smithsonian institutions, museums, zoos and many national parks would be closed
° Oh darn. Hello, it is September and everyone is now back in school or at work, or looking full time for work. Everyone in the upper 51%, that is.
So how does this really affect your life?
Not at all.
I am truly sorry for the people being unpaid. Sort of like me, without a formal job for a year, despite trying desperately.
But it is a matter of choices. That's what savings are for, and if you choose to work for an unreliable employer then you are responsible for the outcome... A choice: risk, reward... Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.
What part of this do we not understand, details of which I have already published numerous times:
• We have a huge debt, but are continuing to spend at some half again the current income.
• We have increased that debt by half again since Obama took office.
• We have almost half of the population NOT WORKING.
• We are taxing people almost half their income and giving it to the people that are NOT working or to totally unnecessary "services", see above.
• We have half the world hating us for wading in with jackboots, drones, and bombs (Africa, Middle East, Far East, etc...)
• We have two thirds of the country hating the incumbent Government (check the numbers on Republican vs. Democrat governors, demography of the House of Representatives, etc. etc. etc. Google is your friend...)
• We have the NSA spying on each one of us, and the DHS giving jackboots and combat SUVs to local police departments
So why can't we wake up and acknowledge that there is a HUGE problem?
Tell me what part of this is not true.
But today I lost a respected correspondent over my "rant".
For not being nice.
No, it's not pretty and no, I'm not being nice.
The time for being nice is over.
Thanks to another for these quotes:
"Whenever evil wins, it is only by default: by the moral failure of those who evade the fact that there can be no compromise on basic principles". Ayn Rand. .
“Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the flag, and begin slitting throats”. H. L. Mencken
This is one of those times. If you do not acknowledge a problem then you are part of it.
In which case I'll see you on the train to Dachau.